I have been riding and doing things. Unfortunately, at this time of the year, it seems like blogging takes a back seat. It’s as much because there’s nothing super exciting to talk about and also because work/life/etc all picks up into a feverish pace as we all careen towards Hanukkah, Christmas, and the end of the year.
However, I have been riding and things HAVE been happening that I wanted to share with you all.
First and foremost, Holly and I had a blogger meet up with a mission. Haha She was coming down to KY to try a horse near me, so we met up and saw him together. I won’t spoil the fun, but he was a cool horse at a barn that it turns out I had a lot of connections to.
Then, she got to ride May! Despite the fact that it was FREEZING and May hadn’t really been ridden in a week (outside a short dressage school like 4 days earlier), she was a prefect princess. Honestly, it is always super fun to see other people get on her because… she really goes NOTHING like how she looks.
Holly also came bearing gifts. The gift? A trial in her saddle. The first time I rode in it, I really wasn’t sure. With bigger blocks and a different balance point, it just felt SO DIFFERENT from what I am used to. However, I used it in my lesson this week and… I think I really like it. I need to be able to jump in it again and have a saddle fitter look at it before making any decisions, but it is SUPER nice.
As for our lessons, they continue to happen every Tuesday night. Although, the running joke for the last month is that Tuesday nights are ALWAYS the worst weather. You know how wet the ring looks in the above video? Well add more rain, snow, and ice to that and that was the footing on Tuesday… As a result, we didn’t jump in our last lesson. Of course, there are plenty of things to work on outside of jumping and Dressage has taken center stage for a bit.
In fact, we ended up running through the Novice B test on Tuesday. (Mind you, Novice B because I scribed a PLETHORA of them at AECs, so I just happen to know that test.)
What Went Well
- Our trot work continues to be a strong point for us. May just continues to get more consistent in the contact.
- Our free walk was pretty good. We got some overstep and May was happy to come over her back and into the stretch. I WILL SAY that our indoor isn’t 100% flat, and our free walk downhill was better than uphill.
- Our stretchy trot! This one I was pretty excited about. Previously, May just wasn’t strong enough to stretch forward and down without FALLING forward and down. Now she can stretch over her topline while remaining engaged behind. Big win!
What Could Use More Work
- The change of direction through E X B in both directions was a weak point. By our second run through, she was “getting” it, but she still felt really green in the movement. No big deal, just something to work on.
- Our canter transitions. These just need work both up and down. I found it a lot harder to manage these transitions in the jump saddle, so I would like to see how the feel again in my dressage saddle.
- Sometimes I get really greedy in the free walk. Stop that.
So overall, nothing bad happening in the test. But probably more a high 30s/low40s test vs. a low 30s test. Happy to have run through it at this point though. I figure I will do my homework and check in on it again in a month!
This Post Has 11 Comments
So jealous of your meet up with Holly! I want to meet both of you!
Exciting about the saddle! And if it works out, kind of a blogger win-win since it would benefit the both of you.
Sounds like you and May are putting in great work this off season!
You need to come to this area for a visit! We can get… probably 6 of us together around here pretty easily!
It is always so much fun to meet up with bloggers!! And when they come bearing saddles even better 🙂 and yes stop making even my tuesdays so cold. HA HA HA
this time of the year is hard for everything. It is just not inspiring!! Glad you made dressage sound like it could be fun (even though I know it isnt) and yay on May figuring things out.
Blogger meet ups are the best. Glad you found a saddle you think will work for the both of you.
Seriously. Really hoping it works out!!!
Always fun to have blogger meet ups! I hope the saddle works for you!!
Me too 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
I’m the same way- still riding and doing things, but nothing earth shattering to write about! I hope the saddle fits and that Holly updates soon!!
Yay for blogger meet ups! I’m hoping I can get a few in when I visit for Kentucky next year. Crossing my fingers that the saddle will work for you!
Yesss come see me! (And May!)
Yes, I’d love to meet in person! Let’s do it 😀