Alright – it’s already the 2nd of January, but I realized that combining this with my 2019 goals would be a MASSIVE post. Apparently, I always write this post on the 2nd of January because… reasons. Check out the original 2018 post here, if you missed it (or have forgotten). And my update mid-year.
Do 1 Clinic: Nope. Didn’t happen. I ended up moving barns and changing trainers mid-year, and money was too tight to drop $$$ on the 4* clinician that did come across my path. I barely scraped by enough to do some horse trials and lessons.
Do 2 Horse Trials: Yay! We did two and they were both GREAT successes that showed improvement. Given the changes between the horse trials (new trainer, barn, no time for XC schooling), we stayed at Starter, but that is ok with me.
May Horse Trial
Dressage Show Jumping Cross Country
August Horse Trial
Dressage Show Jumping Cross Country
[wpvideo mYOBo3uc ]
Get in shape: This was kind of a “Coming in at the End” kind of achievement, but I am giving myself a passing grade on this. I joined the local Y in mid-November with a barn buddy and, other than the week around holidays, have been going 2 – 3 days a week. Since starting towards a healthier lifestyle in August, I have lost nearly 20 lbs and am already back on the bandwagon after the holidays. Our Y also added a bunch of new classes in 2019, and I am excited to give them a try. I can’t wait to see how this winter of work affects my riding in the Spring!
Ride 4 – 5 Days a Week: Adding the gym to my routine meant something had to give, and I decided to half lease May out. While I am not riding 4 -5 days a week, May does now get ridden 4 – 5 days a week. A big part of this goal was around MAY’S fitness, so I am saying ACHIEVED…. even if through new methods.
Plan Out My Rides: EPIC FAIL. I would love to blame this on having a half leaser, but the truth is, this died almost as soon as it started. It put too much pressure on both of us to have “successful” rides on certain days.
Get Comfortable Over 3′ Fences: EPIC FAIL. I wish I could say I was comfortable over BN sized fences, but they still look big to me right now.
Blog 2 Times Week: SMASHING SUCCESS. This blog got a lot more consistent in 2018, and I look forward to continuing it into 2019.
Clean Up My Email Inbox: Need to get back at this.
Start Meditating Again: Fail. My new office environment does not include an actual office, so closing the door for 5 min on my lunch break isn’t an option. I try to be just more mindful.
Do One Thing Every Month That’s Outside My Comfort Zone:
- January – Went to St. Lucia and did a tour of the island on a speed boat. Super Fun.
- February – Dove into a new job taking on responsibilities beyond my wildest nightmares.
- March -Took some serious steps into managing May’s health and well being. I tuned out the opinions of others and listened to my gut… which ended up with the vet agreeing May needed injections and a new dentist finding a very old problem.
- April – Opened up a lot more on the blog about my mistakes and regrets.
- May – Attended a horse trial at a new venue with minimal outside help.
- June – Moved barns.
- July – Launched the May as Well Event Facebook page. It is something I had wanted to do for a long time, but I hesitated because I was afraid how others would take it. So far – all positive from anyone who matters.
- August – First horse trial with new barn. Fitting into an established team’s routine as a new member is always a steep learning curve.
- September – First XC Jump Judging experience. Something I always wanted to do, but never put myself out there to do.
- October – Opened up May to a half leaser, and found a great one! It was a big leap of faith for me to turn the reins over to someone else, but it’s been a great experience so far. Can’t wait to play owner at shows this summer.
- November – Joined a gym. Started taking classes.
- December – Started laying the ground work for a side hustle. Needs more time and attention than I have had to really get it moving forward, but I am really excited with the possibilities.
The thing that really didn’t happen:
Moving May As Well Event to its own domain… I just need to set aside the time to get this done. Preferably in January.
This Post Has 0 Comments
At least you got a lot accomplished! Here’s to 2019 being amazing!
You too! Happy New Year!
Great way to meet a lot of goals!! YAY YOU!
2018 was pretty stellar for your goals. Congrats on the weight loss. That is amazing in and of itself.
thank you! Excited to continue it into 2019!
congrats on a great year!
Thank you! Happy New Year!
Sounds like you had a great year!
We did! Happy New Year!
Thanks! Missing your posts!
❤️ I’m working on it.
Nice work meeting your goals, despite all the changes you went through this year!
Thanks! It was a big year in a lot of ways.
I used to and am going to start again – meditating before bed in that one hour downtime pre-sleep.
Meditating needs to be a part of my life hahaha. Not doing it effects everything else.